Monday, March 12, 2012

excuses for excuses

Can't wait.

Beginning of class "I have excuses for you." Excuses that are about a week late but whatever.

"OK." Expectant look on my face (I think) as in "Well?"

"I'll talk to you after class?"

"Fine." What the fuck ever.

Either you have excuses or you don't. Either they're valid or they're not. I don't really feel like talking to you about them. Especially considering that we've already had that discussion last week.

This for someone for whom I've already forgiven FIVE unexcused absences at the beginning of the term because of extensive private family issue (supposedly, but he could not divulge more and I took his word for it, for whatever reason - he caught me on a good day?) Our deal was no more missed days and I would not count those five.

And people ask me why I don't ever give SS the benefit of the doubt, or be a little more compassionate and apply rules on a case by case basis...

He's circling the drain anyway so in the larger scheme of things being dropped points for his absences really will have no effect. Prime example of someone who probably just shouldn't be in school right now. If life is giving you lots of crap to deal with you might be better off staying out a semester. But no. Instead they think it's our fault for not being understanding about their missing 15% of the semester, or any of another 2 dozen issues with numerous students each term.

When am I going to find something else to do with my life?! Hopefully before we COMPLETELY turn the corner and have ABSOLUTELY NO MORE students who make this all worth it. (At the moment I still have a handful per class thank heavens.)

No comments: