Friday, August 19, 2011

tech culture shock

This time it's about a student I know better, from a club responsibility - hence the fact that she has my cell number...

"How to handle a meeting" 
by 
Generic Student Who Thinks Texting Circumvents Responsibility

This student and I had scheduled the meeting via text the day before - 7pm. I did not imagine it I swear. She had even texted back citing the exact time.

The day of the meeting about 6h50pm (I was at another meeting and then in transit from 6h45-7h so I  didn't see til I got to the venue) a text was sent to me: "what time are we meeting exactly?"

Now... the linguist must weigh in... Words/language is everything - "exactly" implies that it never was specified before, when we had most certainly specified.

I text back (at 7h05) "7pm. Do you need to resched?"

"No - i can be there in a few minutes - is that OK?"

"OK"

25 minutes later (no word in the meantime) she arrives.

Is NOTHING sacred anymore??

Texting ≠ meeting a responsibility!!!!!

And if you say "a few minutes" and it runs longer YOU SHOULD FUCKING LET THE PERSON KNOW! Especially as you've already illustrated that you are perfectly able and that you LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to text rather than communicate voice to voice.

Sometime soon I'm actually going to reach an age where I don't give a shit and am going to just call every single person out on this kind of thing. Maybe no one is telling them anymore how to be a responsible human being? Guess it's time for me to step up. Worst case scenario is they'll say they're aware of it (whatever social moré they've disappointed) and then I can say, "Well then,

WTF????"

Of course the older I am at the time the better this will go over. Eventually I'll just be thought of as that crazy old language instructor who is Really Picky about people DOING WHAT THEY'RE FUCKING SUPPOSED TO FUCKING DO AND SAID THEY WOULD FUCKING DO.

And even that is giving them way too much credit.

No comments: